h

h

Saturday 4 October 2014

Memory Lane #1

They say there are certain moments in your life when you hear a song and you can place exactly where you were when you heard it. In this case it was more of an album and a particular emcee.
I can remember being in my early teens living in South London and having a PE lesson. After the lesson there was a cafeteria of sorts in this Athletics ground where we would just hang out, grab a can of coke, crisps, that  type of thing. I had a friend named Chris and he was listening to a walkman (remember those) and I can remember asking him if I could listen to what he was listening to. His older brother Cory was big into hip-hop so I knew it he was hip-hop he was listening to. He pressed stop on the walkman, handed me the walkman with the headphones, I then placed the headphones onto my head and pressed play.

"KRS-One, Scott La Rock, Scott La Rock" was the first thing I heard through these headphones and for the next four minutes I was completely blown away by this emcee. For those that know, the track was "Elementary!" The uptempo beat, the lyrics, it was like nothing else existed as I totally emmersed in what this emcee was doing to this beat.

On the coach on the way home, It was just me and the Blastmaster KRS-One, as tune after tune just had me transfixed. This tape had to come home with me. I made myself a copy of the tape and it literally lived in my walkman. "Elementary" "Criminal Minded" "South Bronx" "The P Is Free" and "The Bridge Is Over" was on constant play on my walkman. This emcee was a genius in my eyes.



It wasn't only just me that this album had an impression on. The Source named it as one of their best 100 rap albums, Rolling Stone magazine put in their list of one of their 500 greatest albums of all time.
I immediately became a huge KRS-One fan. Everything KRS put out, I bought. This album to me is one of the greatest hip-hop albums of all time and KRS-One to me, is one of the greatest emcees ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment